Wednesday, February 2, 2011

You give me a coin…

I walk the dark and empty street… I have no food… I have no shelter
There isn’t a mother or father to meet… to provide me comfort… to provide a future
My eyes have seen it all along the way… seen all the pain… seen all the torture
You give me a coin as you drive by today… I manage a smile… I manage some laughter

I’m already an adult at the age of five… robbed of those years… robbed of that youth
I can’t recollect ever being alive… to live my dreams… to live my truth
I try to imagine a life better than this… home with a bed… home with a roof
You give me a coin you won’t really miss… no more being angry … no more being aloof

I haven’t many possessions to keep on the run… only a torn top… only a broken shoe
I don’t put up a fight when the older boys come… no-one will help… no-one will do
I don’t think I have many years left to live … not so very special… not so very new
You give me a coin when I have nothing left to give… now I love me… now I love you!



I wrote this poem after a very surreal experience with a young street kid. I was driving home from a gig late at night and as I was stopped at the traffic light I noticed a young boy sitting on the curb wrapped up in an old blanket. I could see by his body language that he was a broken child. I called him over to give him some money (which wasn't a lot as I didn't have much on me). As he took the money his eyes lit up with a glimpse of hope; he then looked me straight in the eyes and told me he loved me. He had such honesty and truth in his eyes when he told me this, I was comletely taken aback. That moment brought me to tears as I drove off, partly because of this child's glimmer of hope when receiving such a small amount of money, and also because of the fact that for a moment, because it was late at night and I was alone, I almost drove away without giving him anything.

I'm not saying give money to every street child you see, but what I firmly believe in is helping those when you can. Make sure the people you employ are earning enough to buy food, have a home, educate their children, the basics. Give them more than just money, find out about their families, lives, dreams.... And once you know the people closest to you are taken care of, if you have more... time, money, love, kindness... to give, don't be afraid to take a chance on a stranger.

Yes, some people might not really use the money you gave them to pay for their children's school fees, and other people might buy glue with the money you give them instead of food, some won't appreciate that you've made them a meal and others may be too young to know how to say thank you. For a second, put yourself in these people's situations and hopefully you will realise it's more about showing kindness to another human being, planting that seed that might allow them to trust once again, trust that their are people out there who want to help.

When giving, never expect a certain outcome, the point of giving is purely that... Give of yourself however you can and you won't have to see the rewards, they will come into your life without you even realising it.



XXX

2 comments: