Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pregnant, just quit my job… now what??!!

A few months ago, I was an extremely successful radio presenter and club DJ, I didn't need to look for work, it just came my way. I hardly ever worried about money as my salary always came in and the work was constantly flowing. But at the end of the year I made a decision to leave radio, not knowing exactly why but just knowing that it was time to move on.

A month later I found out I was pregnant with my second child. Great news for the family but clearly not great news for business! Suddenly my future in the months to follow had changed drastically. I had planned to start a new business while I continued to DJ professionally but a new business takes time to get off the ground so I knew it would probably not support me financially for a good while. I now had a time limit and because I had done this before, I knew how much I had to save to get me through the months of work I had to take off, and it was quite a bit!

Being a club DJ is not very conducive to being pregnant; due to the smoke and loud music in nightclubs, it's recommended that you DJ until latest the end of your 6th month of pregnancy. So I'm looking at a total of 4 months at least of no DJing salary!

I must admit, this didn't worry me too much when I first fell pregnant as at the time I had just been through the busiest season, but that soon changed… I no longer had a second income from my radio show and January is a nightmare month for all entertainers. Added to that, I got married at the end of January so no saving money there! Then I started to seriously worry. February has usually been an okay month for me, nothing spectacular but I always managed to pay the bills. Not this February! Performances that were provisionally booked were cancelled and none of the promoters I work with regularly were calling. I was faced with a situation I had never encountered in my career before, I really needed work!

This has been a very difficult time for me, I have begun to doubt my talent as a DJ, I now wonder if promoters only booked me in the past for my radio presence and worst of all, I'm afraid that they are not booking me because they don't want a pregnant woman behind the decks!

I have no idea what the reasons are for this odd turn of events in my life, but I do know this, adversity lies around every corner so best you ignore it before it gets the better of you!

Here I am doubting myself when I should be stupidly happy; I am pregnant with another little boy, have an amazing family who supports and believes in me and, apart from the last two months, have had a sterling career as a professional DJ. Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me, or forcing me rather, to trust that every decision I make in life is the right one.

Knowing how hard it is to stay positive during tough times, I have a few suggestions for those of you going through financial strain due to pregnancy, lack of contract work, retrenchment etc. etc…

1) Budget!!!!…

    •    Re-look at your monthly expenses. Scrutinize what your money is regularly spent on and you'll probably find that you spend quite a lot on junk (dvd's, take-aways, clothing, coffee & cake etc.). Make allowances for a certain amount of 'junk' though, you don't want to depress yourself even more by not being able to indulge in a guilty pleasure here and there.
    •    If you have unnecessary policies, cancel them or, if you're pregnant, freeze them until you've had your baby.
    •    Store accounts are pure evil so cut up those cards immediately!
    •    Credit cards have a huge interest rate so try not to use them, after all, you are probably spending money you don't have.
    •    Be realistic and honest with yourself… If you can't afford to have you nails done every week, then don't! Weigh up what is truly important to you and what you feel you cannot go without and work it to fit in with your budget… And if your budget is so tight that you cannot add something else into it, well then, you'll just have to go without and be proud that you have the strength and will-power to do that.

2) Keep yourself busy…

    •    Stagnation is the mother of all fuck-ups! No matter what your situation, keep doing 'something' that makes you happy every day. Start a blog as I've done, read inspiring stories, plan your new business, send your cv out, contact potential clients, get advice from friends, tell your family your worries. Whatever it is you decide to do, make sure it's something that is contributing to the 'big picture' that is your life, you will soon begin to realize what truly makes you happy, and I can guarantee you it's not money, that's just a side-effect.

3) Have a weekly schedule….

    •    All successful people and businesses have one common thread, something about them is consistent. Maintaining a schedule of some sort will make you feel more organized and it will free up a load of energy, allowing you to be ready to tackle life's curve balls as they arise. Also, if you consciously make time for the little things, like going for a walk, it will stop you from missing out on the pleasurable aspects of life that are always last on our list but are so vital for happiness.

4) Appreciate what you've got….

    •    Instead of worrying about the things you don't have right now, try focus on the abundance that you already have in your life. It will shift your focus and make you more positive, and positivity always breeds good experiences!

So, those are some of the rules I am trying to live by and I'm hoping that if you're in a similar position you will do the same. Sometimes we take ourselves and life way too seriously and these experiences are just the universe's way of telling us that there is more to life than your job and money… So… SO… Much more…

XXX

If you have a story to share or advice to give, please feel free to do so in the comment box below...

18 comments:

  1. My angel, that is amazing advice! Just made my day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my angel, it's not easy sticking to it but it's worth it! Love you loads! XXX :-)

      Delete
  2. You are an awesome Dj! One of the best in the Country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kelden, I really appreciate it and I am so grateful for the support! :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow that broad a tear to eye and a lump in my throat. Wise words. Like they say hang in there. God looks after his kids. And that is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, I have just read this and while reading this I felt compelled even before I got to the end of it that I wanted to leave you a message.

    You truly are a bright shining light, a wonderful DJ, a beautiful girl and dare I say it a good friend. Granted we don't see each other a lot now that I am on mud island (the UK) but it's always a pleasure to see a familiar face in a crowd.

    I've known you from way back in the day of dancing at "the groove" on those wooden floors all the way till now and one things for sure... We continue dancing though life no matter if the music stops in a room... It continues inside of you...

    much love Murphs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Alan, thanks so much for that my friend, your words mean a lot to me! This just proves what life is really about, the important things like friends and family who support you! Sending loads of love my friend! XXX :-)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your second baby! You will always be the best DJ i've ever known. In life there are always obstacles that come in the way but from what i know you are a strong woman and you can take on anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shamil, it's support from others that helps us become stronger :-)

      Delete
  6. Hey Erica
    Don't doubt yourself AT ALL! You are an incredible DJ.. IN fact, since you left 5fm, I don't know where to go for my music fix..
    Work on some CD's - your Studio 55 CD was incredible! If a label won't sign you up, they're losing their marbles.. (and to be quite honest, I am personally insulted that 5fm left the show as Studio 55 with a new DJ.. Studio 55 to me was Erica Elle!)
    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for that, it means so much to me that the hard work I put into conceptualizing and creating Studio 55 has not gone unnoticed! I think doing another album is a great idea, I will keep you posted! :-)

      Delete
    2. Can't wait! I'll be first in the queue when it's launched!

      Delete
  7. Erica I have to commend you on this blog. It takes a big person to go out and admit that they are going through tough times, we are living in a society that makes us feel that we are not successful unless we have attained certain material things, achieving success at work all the time or even at least pretending that our life is picture perfect . I am guilty of all of this at times until a condition I live with reminds me of what truly life is about and its not everything I mentioned but rather the small things that I have taken for granted when I am feeling well.

    You're right be happy with everything you have in your life right now, for you are blessed with health, family, friends and love, those are the things that really matter and will get you through the tough times.

    Ps. you are awesome and will continue to be awesome no matter what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible how life puts us in situations to teach us valuable lessons about who we are, almost stopping us in our tracks to question what is most valuable to us and to bring us back to the core of who we are as human beings.
      Thank you for sharing your experience with me :-)

      Delete
  8. Eye-opening and very inspirational Erica, have always loved your work, and the humility to pen these thoughts...motivating.. :-) every now and then...I play a song..and it gets me in an awesome mood.. Eye of the tiger by Survivor ;-)

    keep your blogs coming.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Gav! Thanks so much, I'll definitely do that! :-)

      Delete
  9. Loving your blog Ez!! You truly are inspirational! You are an amazing friend and we will always be here to support you!! Love you babe xxx

    ReplyDelete