Monday, March 12, 2012

It's time for me to rant… About our pathetic government…

It's a gorgeous Monday morning. It was my turn to sleep in so that, combined with waking up to a delicious breakfast in bed and the sun shining outside, are a recipe for a fantastic start to my week!

I decided to head out to one of my local coffee shops for the morning, get productive in a social and pleasant surrounding. I parked my car, opened my door and was suddenly accosted by way too much lumo yellow for a Monday morning!

A parking marshall  was standing there waiting to charge me for my time spent at my local coffee shop. Now, I don't have a problem with this if it's at a mall, in the city centre, at a huge event… But in my little 'village' neighborhood?? You have got to be kidding!! I have lived in the vicinity of Parkhurst for almost four years, it has become a very popular area in the passed years because it has such a different vibe to the rest of Joburg, it's quaint and peaceful during the week and comes alive with visitors during the weekend. And it's because of this popularity that our government has decided it's a good idea to charge every car that parks on the main road (apparently now the adjacent roads too!) a whopping R8 and hour!! What the f&*k??!! How is it okay to charge people a parking rate in a suburb??

It just seems to me lately that the government is seriously taking advantage, what with the e-toll bull-crap, fuel price hikes, transfer duties when buying a house and now, parking meters in suburbs…

So we are paying all these taxes and extra extras, but the government apparently won't donate R850 000 for tracking systems to help save our Rhinos from extinction, are…you..shitting..me!!!

It's very hard for me to be positive about our incredibly beautiful country sometimes, when the guys 'at the top' have such distorted views on what really matters on the path to creating a genuinely happy society. I have a suspicion that a country  like Norway, rated the happiest country in the world, would make sure their endangered animals were protected… How is that NOT at the top of our government's priorities?!

Life is becoming more and more expensive thanks to our fabulous government… I wonder… how is this helping the massive rate of unemployment, poverty, lack of education, crime? I just can't seem to understand the 'master plan' here… It's not like our government is 'stealing from the rich to give to the poor', they're even stealing from the poor!!

So it looks like I'm going to have to find another suburb that has 'free streets' for my morning productivity sessions. That, or I need to buy a bicycle, which is probably not wise in my preggie state. What a shame because I do love Parkhurst so much, but I sure as hell am not going to succumb to the complacency that seems to be the South African way.

Although... the sad reality is that I know I will find myself paying a parking marshall from time to time because this is one of my favorite streets in Joburg… And our stupid government knows it!!

XXX

Please feel free to add your thoughts in the comments block below

2 comments:

  1. Erica, I agree with you. It is outrageous. I, unlike you, was not confronted when I arrived. I was confronted when I left. Imagine my horror when my day of hiding out at M & B ended up in a fee of R56.00!!!!!!! And the very unfriendly parking attendant basically told me that if I do not pay, I will be fined R220! No warning. Nothing.

    Today I was about to turn into 4th Avenue, but then saw two of the "lumps" standing on the corner near Jolly. I changed my mind and headed away from Parkhurst to other less expensive pastures.

    Businesses in Parkhurst should take a stand though. They are the ones who are going to suffer - especially the day time traders who make their money of remote business owners who need a place to park off for long hours.

    And apparently the parking fee extends into the private roads too.

    Such a pity.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the most shocking thing is that the government only get 25% of the fee and some lady who started the company and is living in Cape Town gets the rest. I don't see it lasting, was chatting to a few shop owners and they are making a stand. Maree xxx

    ReplyDelete