Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Finding your purpose…

If you've been following my blog, you will know that I have been through quite a big change in the past few months. I left my job as a successful radio presenter, fell pregnant and have had to deal with the fact that my DJing gigs are not as many as they were before. So this has also left me with quite a bit to think about…
I made a conscious decision to leave my job, I knew that chapter had come to an end so I have absolutely no regrets, and I knew that becoming pregnant would interfere with my career as a club DJ, but I most certainly don't regret having another baby! I had an epiphany the other day, I realized that if I hadn't been forced to 'slow down' in this career, I would never have found the time to think about what my new life purpose is.

I believe that every person has a number of life purposes, and they come and go as they transform throughout their life journeys. I have no doubt that DJing and sharing my music is a life purpose, just like teaching dancing was a life purpose before that. Even though I don't want to stop DJing, I do want to do it on my own terms now, which means not having to play the music I don't feel at a soul-level, which also means that I will no longer be able to earn my primary income from it, which to be honest, is actually quite exciting!

So now that I know I don't want to be a 'slave' to the industry any longer, my life's purpose will no longer be as financially fruitful, but WAY more fulfilling! That said, we do live in the real world where money does unfortunately talk, so I am totally aware that I need to find another form of income which to me means having to find my next life's purpose.

Most people believe that they are destined to only do one great thing, a belief which I feel can be devastating. Why not broaden your horizons instead and realize that you are destined for so many types of greatness throughout your life? And why not believe that you can achieve many forms of greatness concurrently? Think about your own life, you may not feel too 'great' at the moment and you probably have many 'goals' or 'dreams' that you are 'on your way' to achieving which you feel will finally bring you happiness… BUT… I can guarantee that right now as you read this, you have achieved some form of greatness or a life purpose. How can you tell if you're living one of your life purposes? Ask yourself these questions…

Am I giving someone my unconditional love, be it a friend, family member, pet etc.?

Am I being of service to others? This can be in your job (as mundane and silly as your job may seem to you!), as a parent, as a volunteer etc.

Am I  doing something I love that I don't get paid for? Hobbies, interests, passions…

Am I good at something? This can vary hugely from being a good listener to being a good cook…

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are most certainly living one of your life purposes!

Another mistake people make is to place all their happiness and contentment on their 'dream', so once it's been achieved, if anything goes wrong and they can no longer live that dream, they feel they have failed… I really hate that word… failed… No one can ever ever… ever…. fail… they can only learn, either to be a victim to their situation, or to gain something from it and come out on top. I read an amazing book called the Flipside which describes how various people saw the flipside of their situation to go onto bigger and better things. One of my favorite stories was that of a young Spanish man. His 'dream' was to become a star football player, and he was well on his way to becoming one of Real Madrid's star goalkeepers when he had a tragic car accident which left him bed-ridden in hospital for months without a hope of ever playing football again. He began writing poems to deal with his emotions while in hospital and one day a nurse brought a guitar to the hospital and suggested he use his writing to create songs. He learned how to play the guitar and so began his passion for song-writing. Once out of hospital, he resumed his studies at Murcia university. After traveling to England to improve his English and finally returning to Spain, he took his first song to a recording studio and asked if they could recommend a singer. The manager took one look at this gorgeous Spanish man playing the guitar, singing his own heart-felt songs with an amazing voice and he knew he didn't need to look for a singer! Needless to say, Julio Iglesias went on to become the biggest selling recording artist in the history of Latin American music!

I think it's great to have faith in a vision, but not to blindly follow that vision whilst the beauty of life is happening around you. Keep your visions in mind but always take the time to stop and look around you, take a look at the greatness that is your life at this present moment. Appreciate how many life purposes you are constantly living, changing, moving onto.

Find the greatness in your life today and you will find the greatness in your life always… Try it ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more!!

    "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realise they were the big things." - Robert Brault”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it once and I'll say it again: you, Erica, are an inspiration. One of the biggest things in life is to make a difference in people's lives, thank you for making a difference.

    Your biggest fan,
    Brian Quinton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it my friend - here's to your next life purpose, and mine :)

    ReplyDelete