Monday, March 26, 2012

Becoming Gorgeously Green

A few years ago I bought a book called "Skin Deep". Over the years I had started to become more and more aware of the benefits of "going green" by recycling, buying second hand, eating more organic, you know the saying… Reduce, Reuse, Recycle…
So eventually I began looking at the ingredient lists on all my cosmetics and toiletry containers and each product had loads and loads of ingredients that sounded very unappealing! So eventually I found "Skin Deep". It lists the names of various ingredients one would find in their products, exactly what they are used for and most importantly, how safe they are. If you don't know this yet, there are some highly toxic ingredients in certain products…

Anyway, I'm not going to go into all the harmful ingredients, I just want to make you aware of them if you weren't already. I strongly advise that you get clued up on what you are applying to yours and your family's bodies on a daily basis. There are various websites and books you can refer to. I urge you to take one of your products and look up all the ingredients, their uses and whether they are considered harmful or not. I think you will be quite surprised at the results…

Also, don't be fooled if a product is branded as "Natural" or "Organic", just because the bottle says it is, doesn't mean it really is. Did you know that a brand can label their product "Natural" or "Organic" if only a 'couple' of their ingredients are natural or organic, basically making us believe we are buying the purest ingredients when in actual fact we may not be.

I know how difficult it is to swop over to the 'natural side', especially when you have this pre-conceived idea that if it's natural it can't possibly be as effective. Trust me, the purest products most definitely can be the best! I've tried and tested many products that are as eco-friendly, natural or organic as possible. Some of them have been terrible but others are delicious so I would like to share my favorite finds with you…

SOIL

Soil is an aromatherapy oil company based in South Africa that cultivates and extracts the purest organic essential oils.

Essential oils can be used topically when mixed with a base oil; in an oil burner with some water or in the bath. Only a few drops are necessary for great results. Because of their efficacy, be sure to check which oils you can and cannot use during pregnancy.
Apart from supplying the most divine smelling aromatherapy oils, Soil also mixes various blends of base oils with aromatherapy oils…

My two favorite oils are:


The Baby Oil


A wonderful gentle oil blend for babies and children (and you!) that can be used as a moisturizer straight after a bath or as a massage oil. It smells gorgeous!


The Stretch Mark Oil

I used this oil religiously during my first pregnancy and I will definitely be using it again for this pregnancy. I didn't get any stretch marks from pregnancy so I can safely say it worked for me.

www.soil.co.za


ABOUT OILS


Please know that most 'oils' out there are called mineral oils meaning they are synthetic, they basically create a barrier so no water can get in or out. It appears that your skin is moisturized but their particles are too big to be absorbed into the skin so because they do not absorb into your skin and won't let moisture in, your skin eventually dries out. Natural oils actually hydrate your skin, their particles are small enough to absorb into the skin so you are left with hydrated and soft skin. Some great examples of natural oils are: Coconut, Jojoba, Baobab, Grapeseed, Almond (obviously not if you're allergic to nuts), Avocado and Olive Oil.


PURE BEGINNINGS

Pure Beginnings is Proudly South African and manufactures natural toiletries ranging from Toothpaste to Body Wash.


I have been using the baby products since my son was born and they are fantastic!! Most baby brands out there have very harsh ingredients, they may smell delectable but don't be fooled!

The products I love are:

Pure Beginnings Baby Bum Cream


A gentle barrier cream. I find it works extremely well unless your baby has really bad nappy rash.


Pure Beginnings Baby Body Wash & Shampoo



My favorite Pure Beginnings product! It is a two-in-one wash that smells divine!


Pure Beginnings Kids Toothpaste in Berry Flavour


It is also swallow safe. My son loves brushing his teeth, say no more :-)


Pure Beginnings Toothpaste for Adults

The original Pure Beginnings Toothpaste wasn't great at all BUT they have now changed the formula. I find this formula works very well and it has a delicious fresh minty taste so I give it the thumbs up!

Pure Beginnings Wet Wipes

These wipes have none of the harsh ingredients found in most other baby wipes.

www.purebeginnings.co.za


AFRICOLOGY


Gorgeous Spa Products AND they are made in South Africa!!!

I am in love with:

Africology Slimming Detox Cream

This cream smells delicious, has fabulous ingredients and is just awesome!

Africology Bath Soak


Finally a bubble-bath that doesn't dry out the skin, in fact, it actually hydrates the skin!

www.africology-sa.com




SOY LITES


This is a fab South African company that makes yummy smelling candles out of Soya, but there is more… Once you are done having your candle-lit bath, you can blow out the candle and use the melted wax as an amazing massage oil… SO decadent!


www.soylites.co.za


RAIN

Rain is another South African company that produces exquisite bath and body products. 


You can combine your selection of Body Scrub Base, Activator, Base Oil and Essential Oil to make your very own unique body Scrub, so much fun!

www.rainafrica.com


ECOKID MOSQUITO REPELLENT


This a fantastic mosquito repellant that smells great, is non-toxic and is great for adults too!

 
www.ecokid.com.au


ESSE

Esse is a South African Skin Care Company that as been in the industry for 10 years. All of the ingredients are listed on their website.

Esse Gel Cleanser


A refreshing cleanser for all skin types.

www.esse.co.za



If you can recommend any other natural product ranges out there, please feel free to leave your suggestions in the comment box below. I have yet to find a really effective shampoo that does not contain Sodium Laurel Sulphate so if you can recommend one please let me know!

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment